So anyone that knows me and knows my Italian heritage knows my daily food intake MUST include, A. salad, B. Pasta, C. Bread… its just in my chemical make up… as we grow older our metabolism changes I know … BUT I REFUSE TO GIVE UP MY PASTA AND BREAD. I’ve learned to love whole grain! Here is a great meal: *quick *easy *delicious
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium tomatoes (about 1/2 lb.) chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 10 ounces medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook penne according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add in garlic and red pepper flakes, cook for 2 minutes or until garlic begins to soften.
- Add in tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to release their water.
- Turn heat up to medium-high and add in shrimp. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and opaque. Remove from heat, add in spinach and cover skillet. Let spinach wilt for 2 minutes.
- Add the penne, Greek yogurt and pasta sauce. Stir until sauce is mixed well and all pasta and veggies are coated. Heat until just warmed through. Serve topped with parmesan cheese.
- MIX it , serve it, enjoy it.