Essential Oils for Newborns and Babies ~ doTERRA
It’s important to use nothing but the most pure and safe, therapeutic-grade essential oils because store-bought oils can have solvents, pesticides, synthetics and other chemicals. You cannot tell by looking at the label. Remember everything we put onto our skin also goes into our body. The doTERRA oils are thoroughly tested to be free of pesticides, fillers and contaminants. (I took this section from the following blog site: http://healinginourhomes.com/2014/08/essential-oils-for-newborns-and-babies.html)
Essential oils should be used minimally and only as needed for the first 3 months.
When using with newborns and babies, it is important to dilute the oils to avoid irritation or sensitization, to aid in absorption and also to expose the babies to a lower amount of the oils. While doTERRA’s oils are very safe, the liver can only process so much at a time, so there’s no reason to overdo or waste money by using them undiluted. For newborns/infants/babies dilute 1 drop of essential oil per 1 tablespoon of a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil, olive, sweet almond, jojoba, etc.
- Roman Chamomile
- Serenity blend
- Melaleuca (Tea Tree oil)
Single oils to avoid until they are older : Cassia, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Oregano, Thyme. These oils can all be extremely irritating to the skin and/or irritating for new and tiny respiratory systems. These oils are less of an issue as part of a blend but typically can be substituted with a more gentle oil from the list above. Always use your own discretion, experience and resources in making these choices for your child.
Common Baby Issues and Solutions:
1. Calming: Dilute Lavender, Roman Chamomile or Serenity and apply the the feet and on your chest if you are holding them to promote relaxation. You can wipe extra on their blanket/clothes (doTERRA oils and their Fractionated Coconut oil do not stain! yay!). Diffusing with an AromaLite is also very helpful as well as daily infant massage.
2. Digestive support : Dilute 1 drop each of lavender and orange in 2 TB carrier oil and rub baby’s tummy in a clockwise direction for at least 30 seconds for digestive support. Apply every 15-30 mins until their tummy is settled.
3. For owie’s and boo-boo’s: Frankincense promotes a healthy inflammatory response so its a great choice.
4. Skin: Dilute 1 drop of each of Lavender and Melaleuca in unrefined or fractionated coconut oil or Lanolin (I love lanolin for rashes and dry skin!) to soothe the skin. Apply each time you change their diaper. I like to use a glass spray bottle for this. Use damp, soft paper towels to wipe or rinse your wipes well before using to avoid any further irritating the rash with chemicals.
5. Teething: Use diluted Lavender, Roman Chamomile, or Serenity along the jawline as often as every 15-30 minutes to soothe.
6. Ears: Dilute lavender and melaleuca and apply around the ear (never put oils IN the ear) frequently, massaging down towards the lymph nodes to encourage drainage.
7. Respiratory support: Dilute Melaleuca and Lemon and apply the chest, back and feet several times an hour. A combo of Frankincense and Lavender can be very helpful when the chest is tight and loud.
If you’re interested in purchasing any of these oils visit my online shop! http://www.mydoterra.com/manleywellness/#/